Monday, August 20, 2007

Prepare to be bored.

I think that part of teacher education should include an extended unit on how to survive Professional Development/Staff Meetings/Curriculum Orientation week. Don't get me wrong--I understand the value of these meetings. I don't know everything and each district/state/administrator establishes different expectations, but that doesn't mean that it isn't any less boring.

Today I was orientated to the district's approach to standards. It is strange that I simultaneously feel like I "knew that before" and "haven't ever heard that before" about the presentation. I do know that I really am frustrated by the phrase "It depends on your administrator". So much for getting questions answered. Really, I know it will be OK--my principal is reasonable--but I would feel more comfortable just having all the expectations clearly laid out. We'll see.

I'm scared, excited, apprehensive and other things that I can't but my finger on.

I'm scared about the series of evaluations that we are required to go through. I've never liked failing (read mediocrity/average/acceptable), if I don't over-achieve I haven't done enough. I'm really trying to escape this mental block. I am new at this, I will not be as good as experienced teachers, there are always areas that need improvement. I will need improvement.

As Martha would say, "It's a good thing"

A

No comments: